Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Wildlife

I love animals and taking pictures of animals, especially dogs.  Since the tornado and all the storms in 2011 the neighborhood hasn't seemed like an appealing spot for attracting wildlife. Back when we first moved into the neighborhood and before we got Buddy, there were always deer roaming in the backyard. (Haven't seen a deer since Buddy came along....and not sure I'm too broken up about it.....who needs more deer ticks?!) Over the years I have also spotted a bobcat, fisher cats and fox.
 
This past fall I was walking through the family room and looked out the window only to see a very Neanderthal bird on the side of our pool.  I immediately ran for my camera and prayed he'd hang there long enough for a couple shots. I believe this is a heron...possibly a blue heron? We certainly have seen them flying overhead more than I remember prior to the storms. How cool to see one of these up close and personal!





Squirrels have been pretty scarce since the tree population disappeared.  This past fall was a really good pumpkin year and I stocked up on pumpkins for outside décor and carving.  I eventually moved most of the softening pumpkins to the edge of the back woods.  One smart squirrel found our stash and cleaned out every pumpkin.  Must be the same one that I photographed from our front door taking care of this pumpkin. Oh boy was he/she plump....and very helpful in posing for some shots.




Although we don't have any mature trees nearby, we do have a large group of beautiful cardinals that spend the winter feeding at our next door neighbor's feeders. There must be a dozen male and female cardinals that zip back and forth between the feeders and the shrubs in between our houses.  I grabbed my camera one snowy winter day to get a few shots since I knew the background would be so pretty. I could look at these beautiful birds all day long.



While I was focusing on the cardinals something caught my eye at the cluster of bird feeders these same neighbors have on the edge of their back woods. I looked a little closer only to see a beautiful fox watching the birds....or maybe a squirrel....at the feeder.  The focus wasn't so great with the busy background, but I did get a couple shots from a distance of this beautiful, healthy fox. 



I called my neighbor to tell her the fox was at her feeder and she called to thank me later since it was truly a beautiful sight to see.

It's not national park or forest, but I was pretty pleased with the opportunity to view and photograph some wildlife from the comforts of home this past year!

1 comment:

Deb Hanna said...

I LOVE that fox shot!!! so much more beautiful than a freaking fisher!